#6 - Hospital Happy Hour

This post is in honor of Debbie.  You probably don't know my Debbie but I'll never forget here.  Debbie was one of the first nurses I met in my chemoventure.  She was also the love of my life for those five days I stayed on her floor. I'll never forget the day we met...
After a minor biopsy, that I'll share about at a different time, which allowed pathologists to diagnose the Hodgkins disease, the doctors spent six weeks running me through various diagnostic tests.  Each one was meant to give them an idea of how far the cancer had progressed and each one has a funny story attached so I won't spend much time here today.  The basic idea was that the more tests that came out clear the better.  My romance with Debbie began after the final test, a staging laparotomy which turned into a splenectomy.  This test landed me in the hospital for five days of young love.  At least this is how I remember it.
The moment Nurse Debbie walked into my room I knew I had discovered the purpose for my diagnosis.  Fate had brought us together. Sure I was sixteen and she was probably in her early thirties but like I told so many people that week, age was not a problem for the two of us.  The other slight complication was the fact that Debbie was married but I was quick to encourage her and others in the room that day, including my very conservative grandparents, that her marriage was simply an obstacle that we would have to overcome.
What in the world am I talking about? You see that's the problem, I didn't know what I was saying either.  Every time I opened my mouth whatever happened to be on my mind at that very moment came out.  Whether it was hitting on a nurse, confessing to inappropriate behavior with my ex-girlfriends, or inquiring as to why the cast of Ringling Bros. Barnun & Bailey's Circus was in my room.  I was blessed with the power of Demerol.
Demerol is a type of morphine and it's used to treat severe pain.  The drug, however, does nothing to help with foot in mouth syndrome.  In fact, it promotes that problem.  I said a lot of things (so I've been told) that no one understood or cared to know about.  And here's the key to today's lesson cheer: I enjoyed every minute of it.
Before I say anything more let stop to inform you that I have been a pastor for the last thirteen years of my life.  I am in no way an advocate for drug use or abuse.  I have never used illegal drugs nor do I condone it.
All that being said, if you're gonna go through this poking and prodding of every part of your body you might as well get something in return.  There will be plenty of things that cause you discomfort and pain over this period of time so enjoy the happy stuff that makes the pain go away.  When I think back to that five days in the hospital I don't think about the fact that I hurt so bad it took me thirty minutes to walk down the hallway or the ten foot tube they stuck down my nose into my stomach.  I don't cringe at the thought of the catheter they inserted into you know where so I won't say it.  I think of Debbie and the times we had together.  The truth is I don't remember anything about how she looked but because of what my anesthesiologist called the hospital happy hour cocktails, I remember that we (or at least I) were in love and that's all that matters to me.

So Cheer Up You've Got Cancer now give that nurse your vein and enjoy the ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment